Johnson & Johnson / Ethicon is currently facing more than 5,000 TVT lawsuits in federal court. The first lawsuit has already gone to trial, and a jury in New Jersey awarded the plaintiff $11.1 million. It is possible that billions of dollars will be paid before Johnson & Johnson settles the remaining TVT lawsuits. If you were injured, you may still have time to file a lawsuit and join the litigation.
Do I have a TVT Lawsuit? If you or your loved one was injured by the Johnson & Johnson / Ethicon TVT Sling, contact our law firm immediately for a free case consultation. If you file a lawsuit, you could receive compensation for your injury, medical expenses, and more.
What is the Problem with the TVT?
In 1998, Gynecare / Ethicon developed the Tension-free Vaginal Tape (TVT). It revolutionized treatment of stress urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse. Within just a few years, tens of thousands of women were implanted with TVT and other types of vaginal mesh, bladder slings, and pelvic tape. Unfortunately, over the next decade, thousands of women were seriously injured.
In 2008, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) published a warning that they had received more than 1,000 adverse event reports. This warning was updated in 2011 when they had received nearly 3,000 additional reports. They warned that serious injuries were “not rare.” Unfortunately, these warnings came too late for many women.
Complications of the TVT include:
- Chronic pain and/or pain during sexual intercourse (dyspareunia)
- Loss of consortium with spouse
- Organ perforation
- Recurrent incontinence or prolapse
- Mesh contraction or shrinkage
- Vaginal disfigurement, scarring, narrowing, or shortening
- Need for excision surgery (which may not correct complications)
- Emotional and psychological injuries
- And more
TVT Equivalent to Recalled Product
The FDA warnings were just the beginning of the story. Upon further investigation, many people realized that the TVT was “substantially equivalent” to a sling that was recalled in 1999. Although the TVT was causing the same injuries as a recalled product, it was not recalled. It was not until June 2012 — just a few months after the FDA asked Johnson & Johnson to conduct additional safety studies — that the company “withdrew” the TVT and similar products.
The TVT and similar products have been withdrawn:
- Gynecare TVT Secur
- Gynecare Prosima Pelvic Floor System
- Gynecare Prolift Pelvic Floor System
- Gynecare Prolift+M Pelvic Floor System
- Gynecare Gynemesh PS (changed label to only allow abdominal implantation)
If you were injured by the TVT sling, you are not alone — thousands of women have been injured, and many of them have come forward to seek justice by filling a TVT lawsuit. Most of these lawsuits have been transferred to one federal court, where about 10,000 lawsuits are pending against many manufacturers of vaginal mesh.
- Johnson & Johnson / Ethicon TVT Lawsuits: Centralized in a Multi-District Litigation (MDL) located in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia.
If you decide to file a TVT lawsuit, you could receive compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Decreased quality of life
- Loss of consortium for your spouse
- Punitive damages against Johnson & Johnson / Ethicon
- And more
Do I Have a TVT Lawsuit?
The Product Liability & Defective Medical Device Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in TVT lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new lawsuits in all 50 states.
Free TVT Lawsuit Evaluation: Again, if you or a loved one was injured by the Johnson & Johnson / Ethicon TVT, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and we can help.